Check out the essentials of CVS’ coupon policy below!
All paper coupons:
• Must be presented during checkout in order to receive credit
• Must be legible
• Must have a scannable barcode
• Are acceptable in black and white or color
• May not be duplicated
Other guidelines & limitations:
• We reserve the right to process coupons in any order.
• Coupons must be used on or before the expiration date.
• Qualifying ExtraCare card must be presented at checkout to use CVS Pharmacy coupons. Does not apply in limited circumstances.
• Valid coupons loaded to your ExtraCare card will be applied at checkout.
• We cannot scan coupon barcodes directly from a mobile device.
• Manufacturer’s (mfr.) coupons are generally designated with “manufacturer’s coupon” or “mfr.” printed on the face of the coupon (other similar type language may appear on the face of the coupon indicating funding from the manufacturer).
• You cannot exchange your coupons or ExtraBucks Rewards for cash or gift cards. Neither coupons nor ExtraBucks Rewards can be refunded or re-issued. CVS Pharmacy coupons may be subject to state sales tax rules similar to manufacturer’s coupons. Sales tax may be charged on pre-coupon price as required by law.
• Your purchase must include qualifying items in order to use coupons.
• Individual coupon value cannot exceed the value of the item it is applied to.
• CVS Pharmacy coupons generally cannot be used on sale, promotional or clearance items. Other restrictions may apply. Language at the bottom of coupons may provide additional coupon acceptance rules.
• You can only use one item-, brand-, or category-specific CVS Pharmacy coupon and one manufacturer’s coupon per qualifying item unless prohibited by either coupon. We honor manufacturer limitations.
• Some coupons may not be applicable to orders placed on CVS.com
• We have the right to refuse or limit the use of any coupon and/or the subsequent return for any reason and at the discretion of CVS Pharmacy management.
If you are not satisfied with an item purchased from CVS Pharmacy, you may return the item, along with the original receipt, for a refund, exchange or store credit equal to your original purchase price.
• Cash, debit/credit card and check refunds must be requested within 60 days of purchase, along with the original receipt.
• Items presented for return without an original receipt may be exchanged for merchandise or a CVS Pharmacy MoneyCard. Valid customer identification is required. For your convenience, items may be returned to any CVS Pharmacy location.
Coupon policy FAQ
What happens when I want to use a coupon with a value that is higher than the amount I am purchasing?
You may still use the coupon; however, its value will drop down to the value of the amount you are purchasing.
• A $5 coupon for a $4.99 item will result in a $4.99 coupon value.
Can I use multiple coupons within a transaction?
Yes, as long as all of the coupons meet their qualifications.
• Two $3 off $15 coupons for purchases that are $30.00 or higher.
• $3 off $15 coupon and $5 ExtraBucks Rewards for a purchase of $15.
• $1 off toothpaste mfr. coupon and a $2 off toothpaste Coupon Center coupon for a $3 toothpaste item.
Can I use multiple coupons on sale items?
Yes, for certain coupons and certain sale items.
• Suave shampoo is on sale for $2.00 Buy One, Get One Free (BOGO) and the customer purchases two shampoos; the customer may use two coupons for $1.00 each and pay the applicable tax.
• Suave shampoo is on sale for $2.00 BOGO and customer has a mfr. coupon for Suave BOGO. Customer will receive both items for free but will need to pay any applicable tax.
How do I determine the application of sales tax on my purchase that involves the use of a coupon?
Funded manufacturer’s/mfr’s coupons will generally calculate sales tax on the pre-coupon price of the item, as required by state law*. If the coupon is issued by CVS Pharmacy (ExtraBucks Rewards plus ExtraSavings coupons that includes ExtraCare Coupon Center and myWeekly Ad circulars), the coupon is generally deemed a retailer coupon and the sales tax is calculated on the discounted price of the item (after the coupon is applied), as required by state law. However, some CVS Pharmacy issued coupons are “funded manufacturer’s coupons” and designated as mfr. on the face of the coupon and also on your receipt. Sales tax is calculated on CVS Pharmacy issued mfr’s coupons on the pre-coupon price of the item.
*Sales tax is calculated on the discounted price of the item (after the manufacturer’s coupon is applied) in the following states: CT, MA, MO, PA, TX
Can the processing order of multiple coupons that are applied to an item affect the calculation of sales tax?
Yes. Although CVS Pharmacy reserves the right to determine the processing order of its retailer coupons issued (including discounts earned via the ExtraSavings Programs and myWeekly Ad circulars), individual state tax laws govern the processing order of retailer coupons vs. funded manufacturer’s coupons.
Am I limited by how many items I can buy?
There is no set limit however, store managers do reserve the right to set discretionary limits on specific items being purchased in order to ensure there are enough of those items for other customers.
How am I able to use percent-off coupons?
Percent-off coupons may be used on non-promotional/non-sale items. Exclusions are displayed on each of the coupons.
How do I use digital ExtraCare coupons or ExtraCare coupons that have been sent to my card?
You are able to send available deals and coupons to your ExtraCare card from CVS.com, the CVS Pharmacy mobile app, digital receipts and CVS Pharmacy email. Click on the Send-to-Card icon and view the success indicator on the landing page to ensure it was loaded properly. To use it, purchase the necessary items the coupon is valid for and ensure your ExtraCare card is scanned. The colleague will ensure it is applied to that transaction during the checkout process.
What is considered an ExtraCare coupon?
Any coupons and ExtraBucks Rewards that print at the ExtraCare Coupon Center; or are featured in your printed or digital receipt, CVS Pharmacy mobile app, or on CVS.com are considered ExtraCare coupons. Quarterly ExtraBucks Rewards, circular ExtraBucks Rewards, BeautyClub ExtraBucks Rewards, and Pharmacy & Health ExtraBucks Rewards are all types of ExtraCare ExtraBucks Rewards.
CVS/pharmacy coupons (ExtraBucks® Rewards and ExtraCare® Coupons) and Third Party Manufacturer Coupons are accepted in our retail stores in accordance with the following guidelines:
- CVS/pharmacy does not accept expired coupons.
- CVS/pharmacy will not accept third party manufacturers’ coupons with another retailer’s logo
- Coupons cannot be exchanged for cash or gift cards.
- Third Party Manufacturer coupons are issued by a third party and sales tax may be charged on pre-coupon price.
- CVS/pharmacy does not accept coupons for items not carried in our stores.
- CVS/pharmacy only accepts ExtraBucks Rewards applicable to the ExtraCare card offered at time of purchase.
- CVS/pharmacy does not currently accept coupon bar code images displayed on a Smartphone, iPhone, Droid etc.
- The total value of the coupons may not exceed the value of the transaction. Sales tax must be paid, if required by state law.
- Certain CVS/pharmacy coupons may be subject to state sales tax rules similar to Third Party Manufacturer Coupons and sales tax may be charged on pre-coupon price
- Language at the bottom of CVS/pharmacy coupons provides specific coupon acceptance rules.
- Any coupon offer not covered in these guidelines may be accepted at the discretion of CVS management.
- CVS/pharmacy will accept manufacturer coupons for an item that is on sale. CVS/pharmacy will not accept percent off coupons for an item that is on sale.
- In the event that any item’s price is less than the value of the coupon, CVS/pharmacy will only accept the coupon only to the price of the item. CVS/pharmacy does not provide cash back in exchange for any coupons.
- CVS/pharmacy accepts one manufacturer coupon and applicable CVS/pharmacy coupon(s) per item, unless prohibited by either coupon offer.
- There is no limit to the number of ExtraBucks Rewards that may be used in a transaction as long as it does not exceed the transaction total. The number of manufacturer coupons used in a transaction may not exceed the number of items in the transaction.
- The coupon amount will be reduced if it exceeds the value of the item after other discounts or coupons are applied. (For example, a $5.00 coupon for a $4.99 item will result in a $4.99 coupon value).
- CVS/pharmacy accepts multiple identical coupons for multiple qualifying items as long as there is sufficient stock to satisfy other customers, unless a limit is specified. Management reserves the right to limit the quantity of items purchased.
- CVS/pharmacy reserves the right to process coupons in any order.
- CVS/pharmacy accepts multiple Dollar off Transaction coupons (e.g. $3 off $15) in one transaction if they apply
Example: Customer may use two 3 off $15 coupons if they are purchasing over $30.00
Buy One, Get One Free Coupons
- Sales tax must be paid for any Buy One, Get One Free coupon offer, if required by applicable state laws. Two coupons may be used on a Buy One, Get One Free promotion as long as it does not exceed the item total
Example: Suave Shampoo is on sale for $2.00 Buy One, Get One Free and the customer is purchasing two shampoos; customer may use two coupons for $1.00 each and pay the applicable tax.
- Buy One, Get One Free promotions may be combined with Buy One, Get One Free Coupons. Customers are responsible for paying applicable tax
Example: Suave Shampoo is on sale for $2.00 BOGO and customer has a MFG coupon for Suave BOGO. Customer will receive both items for free but will need to pay any applicable tax.
Internet/Print at Home Coupons
- CVS/pharmacy accepts internet/print at home coupons that include a barcode.
- CVS/pharmacy will not accept reproductions or rebates.